Saturday, December 19, 2009

Citizenship Jus Sanguinis

I have learned that persons of Italian descent are already considered to be Italian citizens jus sanguinis ("by right of blood"). All that is needed is to confirm one's ancestry/lineage and also to confirm that that right has not been broken by a renunciation of Italian citizenship along the way. All four of my grandparents were Italian citizens and immigrants from Sicily in the years 1913 and 1914. So, for example, if my paternal grandfather (pictured left; notice the sophistication with which he holds a cigarette) who was an Italian citizen, and immigrated in 1913, did not renounce his citizenship, (that is, by becoming a naturalized U.S. citizen) before the birth of my father, then I may be eligible. In other words, if my grandfather was still an Italian citizen when my father was born, then my father was an Italian citizen jus sanguinis. And if my father never renounced that citizenship, then I and my children would be citizens "by right of blood." Keep in mind that through the law of citizenship jus sanguinis the Italian government is simply recognizing what they believe to be true already. It is not a case of a person becoming a citizen, but rather declaring and proving their "right of blood."

I have begun the adventure of tracing my ancestry and collecting official documents. I have requested certificati di nascita (birth certificates) for all four of my grandparents from their comuni (towns) in Italy. Though ancestry through either one of my grandfathers will suffice, I am requesting all four certificates for genealogical purposes. I plan to trace my citizenship through my paternal grandfather, Giuseppe Ribera, di comune di Scordia, provincia di Catania, Sicilia. I have also requested Giuseppe's marriage certificate from the Municipal Archives in New York City and Naturalization records from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service. This is just a start. This process is a lot of work and I could find I am ineligible if my grandfather naturalized before my father's birth. That would put an abrupt end to my "right of blood."

No comments:

Post a Comment